Parenting for the Launch!
Many parents of teenagers describe feeling isolated, ill-equipped, and under-prepared, with kids who don’t appear be listening during this crucial time of life. They are anxious about their children leaving home and their relationships are often strained. At a time when parents want to become closer to their teens, they feel like they’re being pushed away in favor of other voices. These questions keep them awake at night:
- Have we covered the bases?
- How will our relationship change?
- Are they ready?
- Are we ready???
We believe (and think most will agree) that young adults today need more than head knowledge. They need a solid, holistic leadership foundation that will support them and enable them to make key decisions in these crucial years and beyond. This includes--
- These days, it feels like the majority of our communication is online. Thanks to Facebook (and other social media platforms), e-mail, blogs, and the capability for many career positions to work remotely, most of us are more comfortable communicating online … Continue reading
- “Some people dream of success… while others wake up and work for it.” ~Author Unknown It’s day one on the job, and we can’t wait for our corner office, leather chair, and stunning view. Not so fast! Success on the … Continue reading
- “A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A, M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don’t have a J.O.B.” ~”Fats” Domino Wouldn’t it be nice if employers would appear on our doorstep with lucrative job offers and automatically recognize our greatness? … Continue reading
- One important key to success is self confidence. An important key to self confidence is preparation. ~Arthur Ashe So, you’ve buckled down and identified several candidate careers (or majors) that could be your perfect match. Now, it’s time to … Continue reading
- Life is filled with important decisions, but few are as critical as selecting a well-matched career. Not only is it our primary income source, but it also is the most direct way we apply our skills and talents in life. … Continue reading
- Here’s a true story from my hometown. She was scheduled to arrive for work as a server for a small family restaurant at 5:00. However, she apparently received a better offer. At 4:55 she called the owner, informing him that … Continue reading
- “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is Youer than You.” ~Dr. Suess I love visiting with high schoolers and college students about their career plans. It takes me back to … Continue reading
- “You’re off to great places! Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting. So… get on your way!” ~Dr. Suess “So, what do you want to be when you grow up?” It’s a question each of us has … Continue reading
- Last week, we shared the first five of our ten best parenting tips to build college readiness and circumvent the “derailers” plaguing college students today. The sooner we can build these skills in our future collegians, the better prepared they … Continue reading
- “Don’t prepare the path for the child, prepare the child for the path.” ~ Author Unknown Or, as we say at LifeSmart, “Give them wings, not strings.” Preparing our children for a successful launch into adulthood is one of our … Continue reading