Parenting for the Launch!
Many parents of teenagers describe feeling isolated, ill-equipped, and under-prepared, with kids who don’t appear be listening during this crucial time of life. They are anxious about their children leaving home and their relationships are often strained. At a time when parents want to become closer to their teens, they feel like they’re being pushed away in favor of other voices. These questions keep them awake at night:
- Have we covered the bases?
- How will our relationship change?
- Are they ready?
- Are we ready???
We believe (and think most will agree) that young adults today need more than head knowledge. They need a solid, holistic leadership foundation that will support them and enable them to make key decisions in these crucial years and beyond. This includes--
- Life is filled with important decisions, but few are as critical as selecting a well-matched career. Not only is it our primary income source, but it also is the most direct way we apply our skills and talents in life. … Continue reading
- Here’s a true story from my hometown. She was scheduled to arrive for work as a server for a small family restaurant at 5:00. However, she apparently received a better offer. At 4:55 she called the owner, informing him that … Continue reading
- “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is Youer than You.” ~Dr. Suess I love visiting with high schoolers and college students about their career plans. It takes me back to … Continue reading
- “You’re off to great places! Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting. So… get on your way!” ~Dr. Suess “So, what do you want to be when you grow up?” It’s a question each of us has … Continue reading
- Last week, we shared the first five of our ten best parenting tips to build college readiness and circumvent the “derailers” plaguing college students today. The sooner we can build these skills in our future collegians, the better prepared they … Continue reading
- “Don’t prepare the path for the child, prepare the child for the path.” ~ Author Unknown Or, as we say at LifeSmart, “Give them wings, not strings.” Preparing our children for a successful launch into adulthood is one of our … Continue reading
- Have you experienced something like the following? You’re invited to a high school graduation party brimming with pride and promise. In a few short months, he/she will be heading off to college to fulfill his/her dreams, so it’s a festive … Continue reading
- Ahhhh… the time is finally here. The holiday we all look forward to throughout the entire year that’s filled with candy, glitter, expensive dinners, cherubs, school parties, and cupids. Valentine’s Day! Okay, I know most of us don’t actually look … Continue reading
- When we speak to educators and administrators at various conferences around the country, one of the questions we invariably ask is: “How many of your schools have defined a well prepared graduate for life?” Sadly, we’ve yet to see more … Continue reading
- “We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ~ Epictetus Question: what one action fosters unity, common understanding, mutual respect, healing, better decisions, more effective management, stronger marriages, families, and … Continue reading